Designed in 1771 by William Leeson, Kilboy House was the home of Henry Prittie 5th between 1743 and 1801, who later became the first Lord Dunalley. The property is situated in the civil parish of Kilmore, in the barony of Upper Ormond and in the village of Dolla five miles from Nenagh, County Tipperary. Widely considered to be the most imposing of several substantial mansions in the region, enhanced by sprawling lawns and lakes, ornamental shrubs and trees erected in northwest Tipperary during the last half of the 18th Century.
The project comprised the reconstruction of the three-storey period house following a fire that gutted a major part of the property in 2005, the works also included a new build element
The major work was to renovate the spectacular entrance gateway, comprising an advanced central round-arched carriage opening with portico, flanked by round-arched pedestrian entrances, in turn flanked by pilasters and roughly-coursed rubble limestone boundary walls.
It features snecked rubble limestone walling with cut limestone portico with scrolls, archivolts, imposts and dressed quoins and surrounds to pedestrian entrances.
Built with a phenomenal degree of attention to detail, it is stated by highly credible sources that the stonemasonry work is among the finest in the world today.
Kilboy House was also featured in Country Life magazine (September 7, 2016) where it was awarded the recognition as “The greatest new house in Europe”.
The project timescale from commencement to completion took 5 years.
During the project, the trades and managerial workforce numbered in the hundreds as a substantial number of the hand-picked workforce required specialised stonemasonry skill, due to the design brief and substantial stone works incorporated within the project. The estimated project cost prior to the commencement of works was £60m, which was achieved upon the completion of the site.
Although no official valuation has been completed since the project was delivered, it is estimated within the local and national press that the property is now worth in excess of £150m.